The Martorana Family Winery story began where all good wine stories do, in Italy, several generations ago.
On the steep hillsides of Santo Stefano, in the Piedmonte region of northwestern Italy, the Accornero family’s five children grew up tending the family’s grapes. In 1939, two of the sisters, Clara and Pierna, set sail for new land in America. Two brothers and a sister remained on the family estate, and to this day you can find their grandchildren tending the very same hillside vineyards.
Clara and Pierna arrived in San Francisco in 1939, where their uncle Guilio Accornero operated the Sonoma Hills Wine Company on the Embarcadero. And here begins a new chapter of the family’s wine making story.
In 1940 Clara met and married Anthony Martorana, a young man from Palermo, Sicily. Together, they bought land in the Dry Creek region of Sonoma County.
Over the years Martorana Winery and Vineyards grew to cover 35 acres in two different areas of Dry Creek, including a Native American fishing village once occupied by the Southern Pomo Indians. Here they grew exceptional grapes that went on to produce nationally recognized wines for many of Sonoma’s most notable wineries.
Today, Martorana Winery and Vineyards is run by a 3rd generation, Clara’s grandson’s Gio and Tony. In 2005 Gio and Tony expanded the operation to include Martorana’s own, small production, award-winning Zinfandels, Merlots, Cabernet Sauvignons, Petite Sirahs, Roses and Chardonnays.
The family’s commitment to the preservation of the land and natural resources lead them to embrace organic farming techniques that earned a certification from the California Certified Organic Farmers, and in 2014, the prestigious Wildlife Stewardship Award from the Associate of Fish & Wildlife Agencies. This is the first time this award has been given to a Winery.
To learn more about California Certified Organic Farmers or the Wildlife Stewardship Award click here.